Friday, April 22, 2011

Key Lime Icebox Pie

Posted by Chris Beason | Friday, April 22, 2011 | Category: |

I've wanted to post something before now, but the only thing I've cooked besides at work was frozen pizza and leftover Stir Fried Chicken. Actually, I could talk all day long about the leftovers. I froze them in a ziplock freezer bag last week so all I had to do was pull them out of the freezer and cook some rice. While the rice was cooking I put the bag in the sink in hot water. When the rice was finished, I poured the contents of the bag in a bowl and microwaved it for about 3 minutes and supper was served. As with most things that have spices in them, this was soooo good the day (well, the week) after!

So, that makes for an interesting post right? Not! Well, I made a Key Lime Icebox Pie week before last and didn't ever get a chance to post it so here you go just in time for another Easter dessert idea :) This pie doesn't have a meringue on top. It has it in the pie! So you get a light, fluffy texture along with that tangy lime taste. It goes perfect with Cool Whip on top.

You can use a graham cracker crust or do what I did and make an easy press in the pan shortbread crust.

Turn the oven on 375 degrees. In a bowl, stir together 6 tablespoons of melted butter and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then stir in 1 egg yolk.


Put 1 cup of flour in a pie pan (I used a tart pan).


Pour the egg, sugar, butter mixture in the pan and stir it with a fork until it is crumbly.


Now press the crust in the pan. Once you have the bottom and the sides completely covered with crust, bake it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.


Nobody will see the cracks in the crust once it has filling!

Now for the filling. You need:

4 Eggs
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup Lime Juice

Separate the eggs. Put the egg yolks in one bowl and the egg whites in a separate bowl.


Beat the eggs whites until they form stiff peaks.




Set the bowl aside while you mix up the rest of the ingredients. In the bowl with the egg yolks, add the sweetened condensed milk and the lime juice. Beat just a minute or so until everything is combined.


Fold the egg whites into the mixture until it is smooth. If you've never "folded", basically you use your spatula to scoop up the bottom of the mix "folding" it over the top. Turn your bowl and repeat the process until everything is smooth. It's a way of stirring in your egg whites without deflating them.


Carefully pour the filling into the pie crust. I was really scared that it was going to pour over the edge, but it didn't!


Carefully put the pie in the oven for about 15 minutes or until it is set or in other words not jiggly.


Yikes! Another crack! It's okay. I promise nobody is going to see it with a dollop of Cool Whip on top! Put the pie in the freezer for about 4 hours or overnight. If you make this for Easter, you'll want to get up really early or make this the night before!

This was the first time I used my tart pan. Can you believe I've had it for over 10 years and never used it! It's not really easy to get pretty pieces out of it, but what it lacks in looks it definitely makes up for in taste.

Currently have 6 comments:

  1. That is a pretty tart pan! I don't have one yet, but I want the one that I can remove the ring... It seems like I'm running out of space to store things in my kitchen already. Anyway... your Icebox pie reminds me of the Icebox pie that I tried to make. It was Fannie Flagg's recipe, and after I poured the batter into the crust, it went straight into the refrigerator. Except it never set and I ended up with Icebox pudding. So I never write about it... :)

  2. Oh you know I have a springform pan! I didn't even think about using it. That would definitely help in serving pretty pieces, but I love my tart pan! Thank you! I thought it was pretty too and wanted to use it. I know what you mean about space. That's part of the reason my tart pan was buried in a hall closet and forgotten for 10 years! You should try this icebox pie. It's not like pudding at all :)

  3. Mmm this looks great! So glad to be your newest follower! :)
    http://cookskinny.blogspot.com/

  4. Thanks for following me! Hope you enjoy my blog!

  5. Yummalicious, I'm glad I found you! I'm going to try this recipe either tonight or tomorrow. I can't wait! If I use a spring form pan would I still make the crust in the pan ,or mix it separately in another dish?
    Thank you for posting and sharing a wonderful dessert! ~Chrissy~

  6. This recipe is so tempting! I love Key Lime Pie! This would be a Great version!


Leave a Reply

Twitter Bird Gadget