Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits...It's A Southern Thing

Posted by Chris Beason | Sunday, February 20, 2011 | Category: , |

Yesterday was cheat day and I had a long list of things I wanted. A "real" hamburger, chocolate, a milkshake, bacon and chocolate chip cookies. I didn't have the milkshake, bacon or chocolate chip cookies, but I did get chocolate.

My husband had talked all week about having chocolate gravy this weekend. His grandmother gave me her secret recipe a few years ago, but it didn't turn out like the chocolate gravy I remember when I was a kid. I took her recipe and tweaked it a little to make creamy, smooth, chocolate gravy.


1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 square unsweetened baking chocolate

In a saucepan, mix together the cocoa, sugar, flour and salt with a whisk until it's all one color. Stir in the milk and then add the butter and unsweetened chocolate. Turn the heat on medium-high and constantly stir with the whisk until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is bubbling and thick. Turn off the heat. Immediately pour over biscuits.

If chocolate gravy isn't your thing, you might want to try my recipe for Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. I make my biscuits homemade and you'll find my recipe and instructions there as well.

Currently have 3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I gave up chocolate for Lent...this will be one of the first I try after Easter! I might have to reference your biscuits on my blog- thinking of doing biscuits and gravy but I only buy biscuits, never tried making them before!!!

  2. Awesome! Scratch biscuits taste so much better than "whop 'em" biscuits and they're really not that hard to make.

  3. I had never heard of this before. I'm a "Northerner" but my Southern Sister in-law swears by "chocolate gravy" I must try it, sounds like an easy recipe.


Leave a Reply

Twitter Bird Gadget