Thursday, March 3, 2011

Being Happy In Spite Of Being Miserable

Posted by Chris Beason | Thursday, March 3, 2011 | Category: |

For Valentine's Day my husband bought me the movie Julie & Julia. With this eating habits change I couldn't have chocolate, it wasn't Saturday (my cheat day), so a movie was the logical choice. My mom had heard about the movie and since I was blogging about cooking she thought it would be right up my alley. He really had no interest in watching the movie with me, so I decided I would watch it today.

It's probably a good thing he's not watching it with me because it's really not his type of movie and I'm really learning a lot about myself. Sometimes self discovery becomes more evident in a solitary setting. Like in my creative writing class I was told to NEVER use "a lot" when writing. However, "a lot" seems to be the words I want to use a lot of the time.  Besides, I'm not really a writer, I just like to think that one day I might be. Another thing is, just like Julie in the beginning of the movie, I'm not so sure anyone is reading this blog besides my mom and my mother-in-law so what difference does it really make anyway. They don't care if I use "a lot" in my sentences.

I've also discovered, without the help of the movie that not only has my husband become bored with what I've been cooking while trying to do this eating habit change, I'm bored with it too. I really haven't eaten anything in three days. I can't cook like I want to cook which has left me with no appetite and this blog very boring. So with a little push from Julie, just like the one she got from Julia, I'm going to cook and I'm going to eat and I'm going to blog about it while becoming a little happier each day. Maybe someday I'll have readers just like her. Maybe one day she'll read my blog and see how she and Julia have re-inspired me.

We have a lot of similarities, the three of us, Julie Powell, Julia Child and myself.  Before Julia started cooking she had no idea what she wanted to do with her time. She liked to cook. I have no idea what I want to do career wise. I just know I like to cook. Julie and I vowed to write a blog while working a job we didn't like hoping that it would change our life. The best piece of advice our moms gave us was to not give up. Our husbands are really nice guys who love to eat our cooking. Well, my husband used to love my cooking until this past week.

Like Julia, I have to remember what I originally set out to do. I set out to write a blog for anyone that knew how to boil water, but not much else so they could make something to impress their friends and family. While I'll probably never make anything French, I will probably never, ever use anything called marshmallow fluff.

Now I think I'll go get some chocolate and decide what to make for dinner.

Currently have 0 comments:


Leave a Reply

Twitter Bird Gadget