Thursday, March 10, 2011

Baked Squash

Posted by Chris Beason | Thursday, March 10, 2011 | Category: , , |

For supper tonight I made Pork Tenderloin, Baked Squash and Honey Cornbread Muffins. This afternoon I went ahead and made the Baked Squash while the Pork Tenderloin was marinating and started working on this post. I will be posting the recipe and instructions for the Pork Tenderloin tomorrow. By the way, this was my first attempt at Pork Tenderloin and you're not going to want to miss what happened, so stay tuned!

Baked squash is one of my mom's favorites. My little sister is just starting to cook so I'm hoping that she gives this one a try. Everything turned out really good. The baked squash was wonderful! My husband doesn't care for it too much, but he ate a few bites and then traded the rest of his for a piece of my tenderloin. If you've eaten baked squash at Dixie Cafe, I would venture to say this is better!

1 1/2 to 2 pounds Yellow Squash
1/2 cup Onion
1 Egg
2 slices Bread
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 stick Butter

When selecting squash, look for the ones that are shiny and smooth.  Also, the smaller the squash, the more tender they are. Depending on the size of the squash, about 3 or 4 should be the right amount.

Fill up a large pot about halfway with water and turn the burner on high.  I go ahead and put the water on to boil while I'm cutting up the squash.

Rinse the squash. On a cutting board, cut off the ends and then cut it into slices. Cut the smaller slices in half and the bigger slices in quarters.



Add the squash to the pot of water.


Cut up about half of a half of a medium-sized onion.  That should give you about 1/2 a cup.  I already had half of an onion in the refrigerator so I went ahead and cut up all of it and put half of it back in the ziplock bag. Now I have chopped onion to use in something else already cut up!


Crack an egg and beat it with a whisk in a medium size bowl. Add the onion to the bowl.


Now for the bread crumbs. I save the heels of my bread and keep them in the freezer so I'll have them when a recipe calls for bread crumbs. I have a chopper attachment that goes on my blender so I tear apart the bread, put it in the chopper and pulse/chop until I have bread crumbs. You can also just tear the bread into small pieces. If they're frozen they'll easily crumble.


Cut the stick of butter in half and put one half in a bowl. Melt the butter by putting it in the microwave (or put it in a pan and melt it on the stove) for about 20 seconds. Add half of the bread crumbs to the bowl with the egg and onion in it and then pour the melted butter in. Add the sugar and salt. Stir with the whisk to combine everything. 


The squash should be boiling by now and it needs to boil a total of about 5 minutes. While you're chopping, melting and mixing, be sure to keep an eye on the squash so you can time how long it boils. Take your spoon and press a piece up against the side of the pan to see if it gives easily. 

Drain the squash in a colander in the sink and then use a potato masher to mash the squash.  If you don't have a potato masher, you can use a fork or the bottom of a glass. 


I forgot to take a picture of my potato masher. It looks similar to this one. 


Add the squash to the egg, onion, bread crumb, butter mixture. Spray the bottom and sides of a small baking dish with nonstick spray or use a little bit of butter and your hand to grease the dish. I used butter. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.


Melt the other half of the stick of butter and combine with the remaining bread crumbs.


Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the squash. Again, I used my hand to sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top. 


Bake the squash in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the story on the Pork Tenderloin and the recipe for Honey Cornbread Muffins.  You'll get a 2 for 1 tomorrow, plus a good laugh!

Currently have 0 comments:


Leave a Reply

Twitter Bird Gadget