Sunday, July 19, 2015

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Posted by Chris Beason | Sunday, July 19, 2015 | Category: |

You've asked.  You've begged.  You've pleaded.  So here I am.  Back by popular demand!

As some of you know, right now I'm in the middle of a "two week test".  So, if you are gluten free, paleo, omnivorous, low carb, high protein or just want to generally eat healthy, this recipe will work great for you.

I found this recipe at Paleo Leap.



Ingredients:

8 ounce can tomato sauce
8 ounce can water
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin

1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken
2 bell peppers
1 red onion
6 green onions

1 avocado
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Sour cream
Salsa

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

I'm not the best planner and I'm bad about deciding to do things at the last minute (just ask my husband!) so around 1 p.m. when I decided to make this for supper, my chicken was partially frozen.  I put it in the crockpot and added about a cup of water and cooked it on high for about 4 hours.  If you plan better than me, you can put your chicken in the crockpot and cook it on low for 8 hours.  You can also put thawed chicken in a pan, cover it with water and boil it for about 30 minutes.  Or if you have leftover chicken, use it.  However you decide to do it, start with cooked chicken and shred it.



I used two forks to shred my chicken and then put it in a baking dish.


Next, I chopped up the green onion, bell peppers and red onion and put it on top of the chicken.

Then I made the enchilada sauce.  The recipe on PaleoLeap said to cook it for 10 minutes, but I figured since it was going to be in the oven and there was nothing in the sauce to thicken it up, it would be just fine without cooking it first and it was.


I mixed the tomato sauce, water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin up in a bowl and poured it over the chicken and vegetables in the baking dish.  Then I stirred everything up and put it in the oven.


While the chicken was baking, I sliced up an avocado and some lettuce.  You can chop up a tomato as well.  I just wasn't in the mood tonight for a tomato.


After the chicken was done I put it on a plate and topped it with the lettuce, avocado and sour cream.  I was going to top it with some salsa too, but I forgot.  It was good without it, but it would have been good with it on there too!


If you try it, let me know!

Currently have 0 comments:


Leave a Reply

Twitter Bird Gadget